Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Power of Positive Parenting


I am posting about our latest Book Club selection, The Power of Positive Parenting by Glenn I. Latham, to give yet another recommendation for a good read. This is a great parenting manual that applies to any parent with children of any age. I even think you can use the principles taught in this book with any relationship, be it parent-child, husband-wife, co-workers, etc. The main point of the book is that by encouraging positive behavior and looking for ways to praise and empower your children, you are setting them up to be more successful people than if you focus only on changing negative behavior. I don't say it as eloquently as Dr. Latham, but hopefully you get the point. Anyway, this is a great book to have in my personal library, and I plan on turning to it often as new situations arise in raising my kids. By the way, Thomas has been telling me at least once daily, "Mom, I love it when you're happy!" Cute, huh?

1 comment:

Kristine said...

Elise,
I am reading another one of his books called "Christlike Parenting" This is the first "Latham" book I have read and like it so far. Although I'm not quite finished, your synopsis is sounding oddly familiar! (Almost as if he wrote the same book twice and used two different titles?!?)