Monday, September 11, 2006

9/11 Remembered

I can't let today pass without sharing some sentiments about the events that took place only five short years ago. I remember sitting on our bed with my dear husband, watching the news with shock and horrow, our tiny baby, one day shy of one month old, sleeping peacefully in my arms. As with most Americans, my life changed that day, and my heart still breaks a bit when I hear about the people who lost their loved ones in those terrible attacks.

When I visited Ground Zero last month, the surprising but overwhelming feeling I felt as I stared at the silent rubble was peace. Though there are many negative emotions associated with this day, I try to remember the powerful life lessons that were clarified in the wake of tragedy: that life is precious, that heroes exist in unknown places, that the only true power is love.

1 comment:

Brian Baldwin said...

I feel much the same way. I just came across your blog and you are not too far from where I am. I hope everything goes well for your family!