I am not the world's greatest cook, but I'm improving and I do appreciate a tasty recipe when I come across it. I am trying to be a bit more ambitious and cook new things for my family, and sometimes those things turn out to be really good! In this spirit, I am going to try at least one new recipe each month (ambitious, I know) and post it on my blog.
Here is the one we tried on Saturday with our friends, Sean and Karin. So yummy! Chris was not extremely crazy about the sweet pork, but I really liked it. Then, yesterday, we had the leftovers in a delicious taco salad for dinner. Let me know if you try it!
Cafe Rio Mexican Pork Burritos
Mexican BBQ Pork
3-4 lb. pork loin roast
1 cup brown sugar
1 12 oz. can of Coke
1 TBSP ground cumin
1 14-oz bottle La Victoria red taco sauce – mild or medium
1. Place roast in crock pot. Fill pot with enough water to cover half way up the side of the roast.
2. Cook on Low for about 6 hours. When done, the meat should just fall apart with a fork.
3. Drain off the water.
4. Shred the meat with a fork, remove the fat as you go.
5. In crock pot, make sauce by combining remaining ingredients. Stir together.
6. Return shredded meat to crockpot, stir with sauce ingredients.
7. Continue cooking on low for 2 – 3 hours.
Creamy Tomatillo Dressing (Delish on my taco salad!)
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup mayonnaise
1 fresh jalapeno, chopped (remove seeds)
3 medium or 4 small fresh tomatillos (peel off leaf and chop)
½ bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
1 clove fresh garlic, minced
1 envelope Buttermilk Ranch dressing mix
1 tsp fresh lime juice
Blend prepared ingredients in a blender or food processor.
Build Your Own Mexican Burritos
Shredded BBQ Pork
Black or Pinto Beans
Rice (stir in some fresh cilantro as it finishes cooking)
Creamy Tomatillo Dressing