Thursday, November 08, 2007

Twilight Series, book reviews by Elise

Spoiler Alert-- if you haven't read these books yet and don't want to know what happens, don't read this reveiw! And if this applies to you, just go buy the books right now... you'll thank me later.


As you know, I try to be very honest with my book reviews (sometimes a little too honest), so I'll be completely up front when I tell you that I did not want to read Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. My first encounter with this book was a few months ago when it was recommended to me by a friend who had told me, "I don't really like to read", when I invited her to join my book club. Call me a literary snob, but I just can't take a book recommendation from someone who doesn't even like to read. Besides, a Young Adult novel about a girl who falls in love with a vampire does not really sound like something in my genre.

So, a few weeks go by, and all of the sudden, this book was everywhere! Women were lined out the doors of The Book Table when the thrid novel was released, the YW president in our ward had picked it up at camp while the girls were hiking and subsequently passed it on to the whole YW presidency, then the primary, then the releif society, and they were all talking about it at Enrichment last month. My friends were all talking about "Edward", and even my friend Karin's brother said it was a good book. Well, you know I just can't stand being in the dark for too long, so last month (especially for Halloween), I recommended we read Twilight for our book club.

I love to read, but I am also a very busy girl, so I'm lucky if I can put away one novel in a month. In October, however, I read three novels, because I could not put them down.

I LOVED THIS SERIES! It was so fun, and engaging, and clever... even though I could recognize in several areas why this is a Young Adult novel, I still found myself not being able to go to bed at a decent hour because I just had to finish these books! I'm actually feeling withdrawals that Eclipse ended... I wanted to keep reading! Like Elena, I also felt like New Moon, the second in the series, was the weakest of the three, but it was still a great book. My favorite book was probably Twilight, though Eclipse is a very close second.

My favorite character was Alice. I actually really liked all of the characters, although I'll admit that sometimes the main character, Bella, got on my nerves. I was kind of annoyed that she had such an issue choosing between her two guys. I'd like to think I know a little bit about falling in love for eternity, and I felt uncomfortable with her over-the-line relationship with Jacob. But whatever. Despite that, I loved reading these books. I even dreamed that I was being pursued by newborn vampires... ha ha!

Consequently, I've gotten my sister Allison into this series, and I'm sure more DeArton girls will follow. Chris got a tiny bit annoyed that I couldn't really do anything else while I was reading, but he knows he's my favorite vampire... hee hee. ♥

5 comments:

Elena said...

So good, so good!! Have you read the chapter of Twilight from Edward's point of view on her website? I like it even better than the original

Kim said...

Do you think boys would like these books? I'm considering ordering them for school.

shannon said...

oh yeah, we LOVE the Twilight series books! and even better? The website: www.twilightlexicon.com...it is amazing!

becky ward said...

So- I didn't read your review, because I just finished the first book yesterday...but it's a MAJOR temptation. Somehow I need to get my hands on the next two!

Ally said...

I have to stay away from your review because I am reading the first book right now. I am so excited that there's 2 more after this one!