Sunday, November 11, 2007

A post from Chris!

Pasted from an e-mail from Chris to his family members:

Thomas is giving a talk in sacrament meeting next week, so I thought I'd share it with you all. The typos are for his benefit:

"My name is Thomas and I am named after my first Latter Day Saint relative, John Thomas, and his son-in-law, Thomas Giles. Thomas Giles was a coal miner in Wales.

Four years after he was baptized, he was blinded when some coal fell on his head. Even though he was blind, he learned to play the harp and in 18-56 he pulled his own handcart across the plains. His wife and baby girl died on the trip and he got very sick. But he stayed faithful.

When he got to Utah he went from town to town and played his harp for the saints and made them happy. He was called the blind harpist of Zion."

* * *

After he sat and read it aloud to me and Elise, Gordon wanted to do the same ... without any help. He grabbed the piece of paper and said, "My name is Jesus ... oh, I mean Gordon ..." then a bunch of nonsense.

4 comments:

Caitlan said...

Hahaha I laughed out loud when I read the intro to Gordon's talk. But that's pretty cute- little Tom giving a talk. And haha I finished writing my six facts, posted it, and then saw your "I tagged you" comment. I feel like mine are pretty egotistic in some way, but whatev. I don't have a husband or kids. (I have picked my future eternal companion though- I'll have to tell you more about him next time I see you)

Elena said...

What great talks. General authorities in the making. :)

becky ward said...

Great talk! It's cool to know how you came up with his name. And Gordon...he's funny and he probably doesn't even realize it.

Becca said...

I love "my name is Jesus"--so cute and sweet.