Elena tagged me to share a few little things that drive me nuts. The fact that she tagged me is just another example of how crazily on the same wavelength we are-- I was actually thinking this morning, "I wonder if it would annoy people if I blogged about the things that we irritating me today?" Ha ha-- well now you have no choice but to listen! Thanks Elena!!
Things that bug me:
1. People who give backhanded compliments. I know someone who is a pro at these, to the point that I sometimes wonder if she realizes how snotty she is. She's not a fool, though, so I have a feeling she is just politely condescending on purpose. It's a pretty bad sign when you accept every "compliment" with, "Um...thanks?" I'd like to think that I don't do this to people, but if you ever hear me give a backhanded compliment, you have my full permission to drop kick me.
2. Police cars pulling people over right outside my bedroom window at 3 AM, sometimes waking up the kids. We live right next to a school, so the speed limit drops suddenly from 50 to 30 and the cops love, love, love to hide out right behind our fence. I am not saying they shouldn't do their job, I just wish they would turn the lights down or something. I know, I really should invest in some light-blocking blinds.
3. Bullies. This is a big one for me today: when I picked Tommer up from school, he was sobbing next to his teacher, citing "Shae kicked me," as the reason for his tears. Now, I know that my little guy can be more sensitive than some, but it seems like he complains about this Shae and the mean things she does on a regular basis. I'm not really sure what to do about it-- the poor girl comes from a pretty wacky home and is currently being cared for by her grandmother, so I know there are some issues there. I just wish she wouldn't take it out on my kid!
4. Grocery Shopping. I don't like grocery shopping. I like food, I like cooking, I like spending money, but I don't like pushing a cart around a big store, crossing necessities off of my list (or wishing I had remembered the list), dodging the people who think standing in the aisles to chat is a good idea, and telling my children that they-better-not-fight-if-they-want-to-get-a-treat-please-be-quiet-we-are-almost-done-I-promise!
5. Buying Jeans. Don't get me wrong, I do love shopping for clothes, but for some reason, I have the worst time with jeans. I don't have a perfect body, but I also don't have any weird abnormalities, so you'd think that I would be able to find a pair that fit right. I'm 5'3", so finding the right length is a problem-- regulars are a bit too long, but petite is just a bit too short-- and that's just the beginning. One of these days, I'll come across a brand that works and stockpile.
6. Dry lips. I have the really bad habit of constantly licking, biting and chewing on my lips; consequently, they are always dry. Right now, I am really liking the C.O. Bigelow Mentha Lip Shine from Bath & Body Works, but even that goes away too quickly.
7. Trying to come up with something for dinner because I've been procrastinating #4. Let's see... "How about pancakes, guys?"
8. Misuse of apostrophes. Hey guy's, thank's for the note's. If you don't think there is anything wrong with that sentence, you need to visit this site. But don't proofread my blog or anything, okay? ;)
9. Bumper Stickers. I don't like them.
I'm tagging you: Mom, Caitlan, Ann-M, Kristie, Shannon & Ashley and anyone else who needs something new to blog about in the post-holiday doldrums. My awesome friend Becca has a whole section of her blog dedicated to things she doesn't love: Check it out!