Thursday, August 28, 2008

There is Sunshine in my Soul Today

I don't know why it is, but whenever I think about playing the piano, I always think about that hymn, "There is Sunshine in my Soul Today." The funny thing is that I don't even particularly like that hymn, nor do I have any desire to play it. Maybe this thought stems from an ill-fated piano lesson assignment? Anyway, there is sunshine, or at least music, in my soul today because we have this beauty in our living room:



Yes, we finally found a piano! It is used (as you can see if you enlarge the picture), and needs a tune, but it's in good condition and plays well. We're mostly excited for Thomas to begin his lessons next week at the Utah Youth Conservatory, but I've been surprised at how much I enjoy sitting down to play a bit myself. And I love hearing the funny little songs Thomas makes up all day. I try not to brag about my kids too much, but I do have to say that Thomas has an amazing natural musical talent. I think these lessons will be just perfect for him and will hopefully develop that talent into something he can cherish. I'll definitely post some video of him playing in the next few weeks!

10 comments:

Marilyn said...

Yay! You got it! That's a really good place for it. Pianos should not be against an outside wall. (Okay, I broke that rule, but anyway...) It is a "Lincoln" piano - not so great to look at, but the inside (the part that really counts) is great! With a little love and elbow grease, it will be magnificent!! You're right about Tom - he is a bit of a prodigy. I can't wait to hear him play it!

Marilyn said...

Nevermind the dopey thing I said about the placement of the piano. I think it's really a window that you're not supposed to put the piano under. Duh.

amy said...

Hooray! I'm so happy for you guys! I can't wait to see videos of Thomas playing!

becky ward said...

sweet! it's so fun to have a piano to tinker around on. and i have got to see thomas do his thing! what a great purchase!

Amberlee said...

We just got a piano a few months ago. I REALLY wished that I could play. I am thinking about putting my boys in lessons and trying to follow along with them. That's so exciting that you got a piano! I hope you do post a video of Thomas playing I would love to see it!

jILl PeTeRsEn said...

So cool! I never got lessons since I am child #7. I have always wanted to get my kids involved in playing the piano. I am afraid if I wait too long they won't want to or won't be good at it. I think it's important to start young. I'm not doing such a great job am I!? I can't wait to see Tom play. Both boys seem really talented and I won't be surprised if it comes naturally for him. Great find!

Ann-Michelle said...

that almost looks like mom's- how cool that you own a piano! i think mom used to play that hymn a lot- could be wrong,though!

TimandBecckaMarley said...

Hey I know this doesnt have anything to do with your piano..which is pretty by the way :o) But I was wondering about your digital scrapbooking...do you have any that are Navy (ish)?? I am going to make a scrapbook for my dad of pics I have of him as a kid and in the Navy. I am new to this and have no idea what the heck I am doing. So if have any ideas that would be awesome!!! How is that baby growing anyway???

Monica said...

That is a beautiful piano. I assume you play. Do you have the boys play as well? how are you doing and when is your baby due. Hope all is well. Monica Haymore. {Shannon Petersen's sister.

Elena said...

Yay! Thomas will be such a great piano player. Can't wait to hear another song.